Friday, March 30, 2007

Health, Wealth, and Happiness?

3.27.07

I have always heard the medical bill horror stories, and honestly, thought they were caused by people’s own negligence by not having insurance.

After getting my mail today, I may have to change my tune about that. I had two foot surgeries, one in 10.06 and the other one last month. The surgeries were totally successful. I traveled to California to have them done by Dr. Richard Moy in his Foothill Surgical Institute, which adjoins his office. I have Aetna insurance through my employer, and on paper, it is a really good plan.

I received a preauthorization approval letter from Aetna before the 1st surgery and later phoned Aetna to confirm that the 2nd surgery would be covered before having it done as well. I was told that there were no problems.

Fast forward to today, when I received a bill from Foothill Surgical Institute for a bit over $40,000 in my mailbox when I got home from work. I was flabbergasted. After calling Aetna, they contend that the fees for the surgical center are not covered since it is an outpatient surgical center and not a hospital, and they are unable to negotiate with it since it is out of network.

So…. I have called the billing office and heard nothing, and Dr. Moy’s office manager and heard nothing (although it was almost 5 in CA so I suppose it is to be expected). As much as I hate to do it, I think I am going to have to hire a lawyer and pursue this legally. Aetna was very unyielding when I spoke with them on the phone, despite the fact that I have a letter from them saying that the surgery is authorized (and the outpatient surgical center is COPIED on this letter.) Plus, I cannot believe that the doctor’s office has never handled any claims for Aetna before. He does hundreds of surgeries a year and I can’t possibly be the first one ever to use Aetna. There has to be a way in which this can be handled. But I am willing to force it to have the preauthorization honored if I have to.

I was despondent about this when I first got the bill this afternoon, but now I am ANGRY. More to come…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good Health is important happy life, but when it comes to seniors, they may sometimes looking for other people hands. Stacys Helping Hand, Inc help families to find the right senior care option for them.