Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Baby Doe’s Matchless Mine is Gone – Denver Colorado




Baby Doe’s Matchless Mine Restaurant opened in 1978 at 2520 W. 23rd Avenue in Denver Colorado. The restaurant overlooked I-25 and downtown Denver from its location on a bluff on the west side of the highway. The restaurant operated until approximately 2004 and then was used sporadically as a reception and banquet facility after that.

Baby Doe’s and its sister operation, The Chili Pepper, were landmarks on the Denver skyline, until yesterday afternoon. Chili Pepper was demolished last week and Baby Doe’s was demolished yesterday to make way for a huge new apartment complex called Pinnacle Station to be constructed by AG Spanos, a California corporation. The dirty work of the demolition was done by E-21 Engineering. The neighborhood associations in the area gave up a good fight, but in the end the developers won.

Who would the City of Denver allow rezoning of this landmark property for very dense housing by an out-of state developer? This will have a huge impact upon this residential neighborhood. The restaurants were a proper use of this property and the sale of them to various restaurant holding companies, and eventually to the developer, should have been stopped a long time ago.

In the process, Denver has lost one of most noticeable landmarks, as well as a fabulous restaurant. The story of Baby Doe Tabor has a huge resonance to the state of Colorado, and this Californicated apartment complex is an insult to this. The huge pile of rubble on the Baby Doe’s lot is not a tribute to progress, but rather an indictment of the perils of overpopulation and overdevelopment.

I will be posting additional history and photos on my site.

17 comments:

Jason said...

Just noticed they were torn down. Very sad. I have a few very fond memories of both places.

Brian Stevens said...

I worked nights and, weekends at the Chili Pepper when it was in it's prime.My future wife then started working there, we were coworkers! This was in the late 70's. We would go there every year untill it closed down.

Brian Stevens said...

I worked nights and, weekends at the Chili Pepper when it was in it's prime.My future wife then started working there, we were coworkers! This was in the late 70's. We would go there every year untill it closed down.

Brian Stevens said...

I worked nights and, weekends at the Chili Pepper when it was in it's prime.My future wife then started working there, we were coworkers! This was in the late 70's. We would go there every year untill it closed down.

Unknown said...

In 1964, I was born in Denver and raised in Denver. In 1994, I moved away to Oklahoma with my, then to be husband, and three children. I remember much about Denver, and the surrounding cities. Over the years as I have returned to see family and friends still living there, it continually breaks my heart to see what Californians and non-natives have done to Colorado. I remember Baby Does, Elitch Gardens, Stapleton, and many, many others, that were destroyed in the bs name of "progress"...always devastated when I go back

Historyscoper said...

http://historyscoper.com/denverscope.html

Unknown said...

FYI, a California based restaurant.

Emily M said...

All of the beautiful wood beams and materials from the Baby Doe restaurant went towards building this gorgeous ranch home in Southern Colorado. Really neat. It is currently for sale, can be viewed here: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/350-County-Road-354-La-Veta-CO-81055/2093256643_zpid/?view=public

Unknown said...

I worked here in 2004....bank!

Unknown said...

I worked at Baby Doe's in the early eighties, the head chefs name was Patrick. Incredible place,and many good memories

Newton, K. said...

Back when Wife & I dating I took Baby Does back in the early 80's.
Trying to thoroughly impress this chick. Everything was going fine, Until! I reached across the table, accentdently hit her glass of rozay wine down the front of her pink blouse.

Our waiter seen what had happened. Instantly he asked if she wanted some soda water and a private room to rinse her blouse. G/F said her blouse would be fine.

I never saw that blouse again.
37 years later it's still missing
OOPS

Unknown said...

Do you remember Mr. Fred Arbabi?
He was the great, loved GM back then.I think early 80's. It was great then.

Larry Klimper said...

Wow, just wow. I just came.upon this article, and I'm blown away. Originally from Denver, I have been in OKC since the late 90's. Some of my fondest memories were spent at Baby Doe's with my then young bride. Sunday Brunch was to die for! We haven't been back to the Mile-High city in years, doesn't sound like we're missing much.

Unknown said...

I went to Baby For Back in 1980 When I Worked At The USDA As A Mail Clerk Along with My Boss Ron Kinsey an Co Worker Gloria Burton and Mike Lapedis I Was Very impressed with the interior Very Old Western Architecture Inside It had a Haunting Affect to Me I could feel the spirit of the Old Western vibration I'll truly Miss that Place Good Food Good Fun Good People Thanks Fa Tha Ride Folks

Unknown said...

Also It Set On A Area Called Diamond Hill Where The USDA Field Office Was Located

Unknown said...

Our hearts are broken. So many great romantic memories. My wife I had our first date there on Halloween 1980. There aren't many placed to make memories like that anymore. You walked in and it took you back to another time. Wow. How sad, Truly sad.

Unknown said...

I used to work there! It was an amazing restaurant and experience for diners. Great food including the beer cheese soup. Three levels...great atmosphere and a lot if history! I have many great memories working at Baby Doe's!